Sunday, June 19, 2011

my father.


Today is for my father, the man who considered a whole day with us a treat and discovered every way to squeeze adventure out of it, the man who would tell us stories that coincided with his favorite music, the man who loved when I would sit on his knee or hold his hand, the man who took me on dates and splurged on me just because, the man who always invented games and took us on adventures, the man who rescues me when my car won't work in the middle of the night, the man who brought us up to think highly of goodness, truth, and beauty, the man who constantly prays for me and is always up for a long hearty discussion, the man who loves my stories and is proud of who I am, the man who invents terms for things and attaches sentimental value to movie quotes, the man who is the founder of all our traditions, the man who calls me endearing names of unique varieties, the man who trusts me and listens intently to my heart, the man who has a radar a mile thick and protects me from things I'm oblivious to, the man who always smiles and winks when he sees me, the man who tells me how beautiful I am often, the man who stayed up late to listen to the "book" I wrote and constantly encourages me to be an author, the man who makes the best lattes in the world, the man who loves to learn and loves to teach, the man who is brilliant and has the answer to most any question, the man who takes us on trips, the man who is active, athletic, and brave and enjoys the great outdoors, the man who pursues God's thoughts and craves to live righteously in His name, the man who loves and protects my mom, and the man who sacrifices himself daily to provide for his family.

Thank you, Dad, for setting about me pillars of security, for guiding me in the truth, and for pouring worth into my heart. Life would not be the same without you. Your love and attention, guidance and counsel, presence and stability, and joyfulness and grace have allowed me to blossom (and continue blossoming) into the woman God wants me to be. I'm so thankful to be your daughter and I hope, with all my heart, to be a blessing to you today and every day that you are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment